Saturday 2 June 2012

Taking care of a child with chickenpox

I applied calamine lotion on the spots.
Daily bathed them, gave young coconut water,bananas called "pacainadaan"
They will be little greenish and yellowish in color.
Give them neer moru, and also cooling fruit juices
Also you know sago, I boiled them , added curds and gave them.
Food wise, only porridge with verges.
Lined their bed with Veppa ellai. That,s all I know Selvieam.
Do not worry, pray to Amman, everything will be all right.
Ask him not to scratch the spots.
No frying no tallipu, all vegetarian food in the house.
No visitors to the house, as a sign, we hang a bunch of vepa illai in the front door.
Bath the children with water kept in the hot sun, mixed with tumeric and vepa illai.
When the child is fully cured, we take them to a Amman temple.
We cook kanji , or kool and distribute to people who come to temple.
I still remember my grandma sitting by my side and singing Amman Taalaatu.
I still try to follow all the traditions of our forefathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment